Disabling Google Chrome GPU hardware acceleration in a VM environment

I ran into an issue when setting up a Google Sheet recently. After loading the sheet on one of our VMware Horizon View linked clones with 1 vCPU I noticed artifacts on the spreadsheet that made it unusable. Reloading would give varying results and sometimes it would work properly.

Fast forward in time… adding the argument “-disable-gpu” to the end of the shortcut allowed the spreadsheet to load without error 100% of the time and remain usable.

I hadn’t imagined that Google would be using the GPU so heavily for such a simple thing like a spreadsheet, but in the end it was the pain point.

Leave a Reply